Monday, 1 November 2010

Kicking an addictive habit

That's right! and i'm struggling :(
Friday morning i decided enough was enough of the old smoker me.
So i had my last cig en-route to work walked in and went straight to the Nicorette patches section.
Didn't bat an eyelid didn't question my motives and took them straight to the checkout and purchased them!
That was the 1st hard bit out of the way
The 2nd was getting into the almost un-openable package ~~ do they really want people to kick the habit? jeez i pulled and searched for an easier way until i was handed a pair of scissors ahhhhh almost the biggest sigh of relief see i still had to get into the box!
Help arrived at that point twas my sister in law who handed me the scissors and in utter shock at what i was doing and grinning from ear to ear followed by " you'll feel better for it" opened the box hehe
See i didn't tell a soul not even my hubby i just walked in purchased and that was that!
Patch put on i went about my normal day's work
now usually i have 2 15 mins break in which i normally carry myself of to my car and pour a coffee and have a ciggy~~ but that day was different all of a sudden without even considering what effect my normal days events would be to suddenly change.
I waltzed of to my car where my baccy tin sat staring at me, i poured  a coffee, stared some more drank my coffee and went back in and straight to the staff resturant phew that was a close call i felt proud to turn my nose up, but at that point also realised how hard this was going to be ;/
I chose Not to go to my car on my 2nd break but to rescue my urge for mango!
Boy had i got the munchies, how can that happen so soon?
Well i did it my 1st shift without ciggy's the hardest bit was still to come, i drove home flung my tin on the table. Hubby took it opened it (usually there's one or two see) and said almost half casually you've not touched them?? HA HA
Anyway cutting a long story short it was the weekend and finding things to do to stop my usual picking up and puffing away was very Very Hard!
all the bags of yarn etc endless projects i could have cracked on with was soo much a struggle
I was constantly trying to find thing's to nibble on to prevent the usual stop puff and go scenario i used to find myself in so many times , i thought it was going to be easy to have more time to crack on crocheting etc but i find myself with thoughts of prevention of the old cig!
Surely it will get easier? ~~~~ but for now i'm struggling :(
I hope to show you some thing's i've been working on soon, forgive my rambling's i had to share get it off my chest etc take care everyone Love Amanda xxx

14 comments:

  1. You can do it! Please don't give up. My DIL has tried to stop so many times but cannot do it and so I see her smoke in front of my 2 grandsons.. AND she smoked all through both pregnancies! ARGH... hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for u, i have seen people with those electronic fake ciggys just so they have something to hold, maybe u could hold a pen and just click it hard out or something! well done and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for doing this. It will show you your strength and make you stronger!!!! It may be one of your hardest moments but you can do it!!!
    Proud of you, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm winning no munchie attacks this evening! thank's for all your support xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck sweetie~i know it's hard.
    I've been addicted to sweets and eating junk for a long time. I'm about 100 lbs overweight and trying to 'be better' . it's not easy. i'm here for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After smoking for 14 years (I started when I was *gasp* 11. I quit smoking in 2005. It has been nearly 6 years since I quit cold turkey. If i can do it, you certainly can! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really admire you, Amanda. It's one of the hardest things to do and you're doing it! I gave up when I found out I was pregnant with Little J, twelve years ago and I still get a thrill when I realise I did it! Feels so good. Press on my dear. Lots of love, Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a former smoker, I know you are doing the right thing. You will slip up and that's ok. Don't beat your self up. It's been almost two years for me and I'm warning you now, the urge will never go away. There are days I still want one. I actually started crocheting when I quit smoking so that I'd have something to do with my hands. I take my crochet with me every where. Hang tough! From these comments, I see you have a great support group!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not easy but find a substitute. Some drink a glass of water every time they feel like one. That apparently fills your gut and then you get to the point where you tell yourself you don't want another glass of water but then you don't want the cigarette either. Gum works for others. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you the best of luck Amanda. Just think of all the money you can spend.
    What would you rather have
    cigarettes or yarn?
    Please choose the right one!
    Hugs and many thanks for your comments.
    Love suex

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww thank's for all your words of support i am still smoke free! yay and it's getting easier as the days go by, i'd love to spoil myself but doubt that will happen any time soon. But the thoughts there right? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope it gets easier for you to quit Amanda, I've never smoked but my mum & dad did and 2 heart attacks later they've finally quit.

    It's hard but you can do it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for commenting on the SIBOL Flickr Group Amanda, great idea.
    My Dad had thrombosis in his leg through smoking. When I was in my early twenties I had to take him to hospital. The ward was horrendous. Lots of amputations, all through smoking. Not wanting to frighten you, but this is what can happen when you are older. Best of luck. Keep us informed how you are getting on.
    Lov eSuex

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH Congrats.. It will be one of if not the hardest things to do but you will feel alot better. Get something to keep your hands busy- crochet of course is first choice but something you can wiggle around and fidget with will help!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

    Sarah (Raverly!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, thank you for taking the time to visit. xxx